An Affordable Makeup Starter Kit





Everything that I have chosen to be in this blog post ranges from very, very affordable, to a mid-range but still drugstore/high-street price.

Starting with primer, I have chosen Bourjois Happy Light Primer which I would say is perfect for a starter kit. It's very light and moisturising on the skin which is perfect if you're recently new to makeup because it won't make your face feel cakey or uncomfortable. Also, it's also very easy to apply so a lot of product isn't being used and allows makeup to be applied flawlessly. 

Onto foundation. One of my go-to's at the moment is Revlon Colour Stay for Combination/Oily Skin for a few reasons. Its easy to apply, not too heavy on the skin but has a medium-full coverage and doesn't change colour throughout the day. This is the main reason why I chose this foundation because most foundations do change over the course of the day which makes choosing the right colour for your skin tone, so buying one which stays consistent all day will be perfect for those new to make-up.

For concealer I went with Rimmel Wake Me Up. I think this would be a really good part of a starter kit because it is very light and easy to apply, it doesn't crease and it's affordable.

For bronzer, blusher and highligher I went with a palette instead of three individual products, just for the sake of practicality which might appeal more to someone who doesn't have much room for makeup, or who isn't sure what colours and tones will work together. I went with KIKO Milano All Star Palette because the colours are lovely, build-able and I don't find that they're patchy or hard to apply.

I think Rimmel Brow This Way is a perfect choice for brows. The palette comes with a powder, wax, angled brush and a spoolie which is perfect for a starter kit as it comes with more or less everything that is needed.

I've chosen a very affordable eyeshadow palette for eyeshadows. The MUA eyeshadow palette in Heaven and Earth is a very good choice for a starter kit. It has both mattes and shimmery shades, is very pigmented and are easily blend-able. The palette also consists of pinks, champagnes, golds, browns and greys which covers a wide spectrum and give's you the chance to then build and see what colours you prefer and what you feel suit you most before you splash out on expensive colours which you might then disagree with.

Next, for the eyeliner I went with Collection Fast Stroke Eyeliner. Cheap, easy to apply, long-lasting and doesn't rub off through out the day.

The mascara I went with is an old favourite. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara is especially good for those people who aren't too familiar with makeup because although it adds length and volume, it isn't too obvious. This also makes it good for a natural day time look if that's something you prefer to wear.

Lastly, I thought a lip gloss might be more appropriate for a starter kit, I know when I started out I was terrified of lipsticks and what they'd look like on my lips and all those colours terrified me! Lip-glosses however are much more subtler, can generally be easier to apply and are suitable for any look. For this I chose MUA Lip Glaze in Serenity.

Share:

0 comments